Yummy, delicious, and simple yet incredibly effective!
My son, Soren, (like his mother) has a tendency towards vata excess or in non-Ayurvedic terms: dryness, particularly during this time of year when winter sets in and the heating is on and the cold wind is blowing. What we are left to deal with (besides the increase in kapha/mucus) is: Dry lips and dry skin.
Enter: Vanilla lip and body balm! My girlfriend, Teshan, used to make this as part of her product line and I swore it was the bestest lip balm ever. And indeed, over the years it has been hard, if not impossible, to find a replacement. So here is a rather simple recipe for making vanilla lip balm that can also be used as a body balm!
- 20 grams of beeswax
- 40 grams of vanilla infused jojoba oil
- 25 grams of shea butter
- 15 grams of cocoa butter
- 10-15 Lip balm tubes or other acceptable containers
- 2 – 3 / 25 – 50ml salve jars (for the lips and body)
- A stainless steel double boiler
- A scale that weighs grams
- Stainless steel fork (for stirring)
- Paper towels to clean up.
1. Weigh all ingredients.
2. Melt Beeswax in double boiler.
3. Just as beeswax is almost melted, add in Vanilla infused jojoba oil and Shea butter. Gently melt down and just before the shea is complete melted, add in cocoa butter (this will melt very quickly).
4. Stir well!
5. Fill containers. You can use one of those trays to help fill lip balm tubes. I simply poured the mix into the tubes, hence some balm got onto the tubes themselves. Easy to clean though.
6. Let the balms sit to harden then wipe off outside of tubes or gently clean jar lips with paper towel.
Enjoy! We love it!