Explorations into the psychological and physiological impact of aroma
The Aromas and the Mind Certificate program has been designed for massage therapists, estheticians, nurses, healthcare providers and individuals interested in exploring aromatherapy and the benefits of essential oils.
Students interested in exploring the psychological and physiological impact of aromas on the mind will want to take this program to advance their knowledge and application of aromatherapy for emotional health and well being.
This is an advanced level training program and is a module from our Aroma201: Advanced Aromatherapy Certification program. A Foundations level training is required. This class can be taken by graduates of a foundations program or equivalent study.
We have found that students taking the Aromas and the Mind certificate program are primarily interested in:
- Designing aromatherapy products for emotional wellness
- Enhancing an existing health care or esthetic practice
- Integrating essential oils into home care self care
- Advancing their knowledge of aromatherapy for the mind/emotions
How do I become certified with the Aromas and the Mind Certificate Program?
The Aromas and the Mind certification program was established in February of 2000 and has been updated and redesigned in 2009. The course is approved by The National Association For Holistic Aromatherapy (NAHA). This course provides 32 CE hours for Registered aromatherapists (RA).
In order to receive the East-West School for Herbal and Aromatic Studies certification, approved by NAHA, students must:
- Attend 14 hours of live training.
- Complete all modules in the Aromas and the Mind certificate program.
- Complete 5 case studies on family, friends, self, or existing and willing clients.
- Complete final exam (requested when ready to take).
- Send in final exam and 5 case studies.
**NOTE: You can take the Aromas and the Mind program for a Certificate of Attendance only. You would not have to complete the Case studies or Final exam. A Certificate of Attendance would provide 14 CE hours.
This program is approved by the NCBTMB for 32 CE Hours for massage therapists.
- Exploring our sense of smell
- The Nervous and Endocrine systems
- Essential oil therapeutics for the nervous and endocrine systems
- Understanding how essential oils work on the nervous and endocrine system
- The Immune system
- Stress and immunity including psychoneuroimmunology
- Aromatherapy and the immune system
- Essential oils for immune disorders
- The Anatomy of olfaction
- The Limbic system and potential benefits of olfactory aromatherapy
- Olfaction, perception, and response
- Aromatics, olfaction, and emotion
- Understanding stress
- Stress and health
- The Relaxation response
- Designing an aromatic treatment program for stress
- Morphology blending technique
- Aromas and the Mind case studies
Upon successful completion of Aromas and the Mind you will be able to:
- Explain the general roles/functions of the nervous and endocrine systems.
- Discuss various research on the effects of essential oils on the nervous and endocrine systems.
- Describe how essential oils support and enhance the immune system.
- Describe the autonomic nervous system: its functions and its role in stress.
- Describe the impact of stress on body/mind/spirit wellness.
- Create a wide range of aromatic products for psychological well-being.
- Utilize the Morphology blending technique to blend for emotional purposes.
- Appreciate the power of our sense of smell.
- Enhance ones relationship with the natural world.
Course Enrollment Information
**Tuition may vary slightly from location to location. See Calendar of Events.
- 14 hours of live training with East-West School for Herbal and Aromatic Studies approved Instructor (includes some distance learning time as well)
- The Aromas and the Mind certificate manual designed and written by Jade Shutes, B.A., Dipl. AT
- The use of over 50 organic or wild crafted ‘therapeutic grade’ essential oils, a variety of base materials (vegetable oils, glycerin, beeswax, exfolliants, etc.)
- An extensive list of resources for quality products
- Information about various Aromatherapy organizations and journals
- Access to network with other graduates online
- Discounts on additional materials/kits from our select suppliers
- Review of case studies and exam
- CE hours for massage therapists. (14 ce hours)
- Certificate for Aromas and the Mind
- Issuance of Certificate
Students will create and take home at least three of the following products:
- Bath salts
- Cream or Lotion
- Massage oil
- Aromatic spritzer
- Aromatic synergy
- Aroma inhaler
- Bath blend
- Flower essence/Essential oil combo spritzer
Anyone may register for this class. A Foundations level aromatherapy education is recommended but not required. To find a course in your area please see our: Calendar of Events