The Aroma101: Foundations of Aromatherapy Certificate program has been designed for massage therapists, estheticians, nurses, healthcare providers and individuals interested in exploring aromatherapy and the therapeutic benefits of essential oils. Our live program consist of 30 in-class hours and case study time (10 hours) to total: 40 hours of training.
Students interested in becoming professionally qualified with the National Association for Holistic Aromatherapy and/or the Alliance of International Aromatherapists will want to take this Foundations certificate program before moving into our Aroma201: Advanced Aromatherapy Certification Program.
For a schedule of classes offered throughout the United States, please visit our Calendar of Events.
All are invited to join in this class!
This is an entry-level class. No previous Aromatherapy training is required! This class can be taken by anyone, but we’ve found that students are primarily interested in:
- Developing a new career in Aromatherapy
- Enhancing an existing health care practice
- Integrating natural remedies into home care self care
- Simply learning more about aromatherapy
As a rapidly growing complementary health care profession, Aromatherapy education offers abundant career opportunities. EWSHAS graduates have gone on to create successful aromatherapy retail businesses, online essential oil and organic body care businesses, botanical perfume businesses, therapeutic product lines, chakra or yoga based lines, sustainable green businesses, web based radio shows, and consultation services.
How do I become certified with the Aroma101: Foundations Aromatherapy Certificate Program?
The Aroma101 Foundations program was established in September of 1991 and was updated and redesigned in 2009. The course is approved by The National Association For Holistic Aromatherapy (NAHA) and the WA state Workforce and Training Board.
In order to receive the East-West School for Aromatic Studies certification, approved by NAHA, students must:
- Attend all live classes.
- Complete all modules in the Aroma101 program.
- Complete 5 case studies on family, friends, self, or existing and willing clients.
- Complete final exam (requested when ready to take).
- Send in final exam and 5 case studies.
- Passing Grade of 70% or higher.
This program is approved by the NCBTMB for 40 CE Hours for massage therapists.
- Aromatherapy Foundations
- The Holistic Framework
- Essential Oils Study
- The Quality of Essential Oils
- The Therapeutic and Energetic Properties of 20 Essential Oils
- Safety and contraindications
- Aromatic Skincare
- Olfaction and Aroma Psychology
- Methods of Application
- Blending Approaches and Techniques
- Aromatic Treatment Design and Implementation
- Self care and Healthcare with Aromatherapy.
- Basic Chemistry of Essential Oils
- Basic Case study for family, friends and existing healthcare professionals.
- What to do next? Advanced Aromatherapy Certification Program
Upon successful completion of Aroma101: Foundations you will be able to:
- Discuss the history of aromatherapy and its modern development.
- Compare and contrast a true essential oil with a fragrance oil.
- Identify key elements in determining the quality of an essential oil.
- Understand and discuss methods of production and the various end products these methods produce.
- Identify the origins and purpose of an essence in a plant.
- Define what an essential oil is and how it is produced.
- Demonstrate knowledge of 20 essential oils, including Latin binomial, safety information, and key therapeutic and/or energetic properties of each individual essential oil.
- Understand current up-to-date information on safety and essential oils.
- Describe the basic physiology of the skin and its key functions.
- Design effective blends for basic skincare.
- Describe the basic anatomy & physiology of the sense of smell.
- Specify key parts of the limbic system and their function.
- Create aromatic blends of essential oils for emotional purposes.
- List and describe various methods of application techniques and delivery systems.
- Demonstrate basic knowledge of the chemistry of essential oils.
- Design aromatic blends for a range of common household ailments.
- Assess your needs for advanced education in aromatherapy.
- Develop clear career goals and a path to become an Aromatherapist.
You will learn about the following essential oils:
- Clary sage Salvia sclarea
- Roman Chamomile Chamaemelum nobile syn. Anthemis nobilis
- Cypress Cupressus sempervirens
- Eucalyptus Eucalyptus globulus
- Fennel Foeniculum vulgare
- Frankincense Boswellia carteii syn. thurifera
- Geranium Pelargonium graveolens
- Ginger Zingiber officinale
- Grapefruit Citrus paradisi
- Lavender Lavandula angustifolia
- Lemon Citrus limon
- Lemongrass Cymbopogon citratus
- Orange Citrus sinensis
- Patchouli Pogostemom cablin
- Peppermint Mentha x piperita
- Rosemary Rosmarinus officinalis
- Tangerine/Mandarin Citrus reticulata
- Tea Tree Melaleuca alternifolia
- Vetiver Vetiveria zizanoides
- Ylang ylang Cananga odorata
Career opportunities for graduates of the Aroma101 Foundations Aromatherapy Certificate Program:
What are East-West School for Aromatic Studies graduates doing?
- Creating dynamic therapeutic aromatherapy products and/or organic body care lines
- Designing and creating botanical perfumes
- Establishing on-line website stores selling aromatic and herbal products
- Educating the public and healthcare practitioners about aromatherapy
- Writing articles for aromatherapy magazines, online publications and health magazines
- Integrating aromatherapy into an existing practice to enhance client health and wellness
Course Enrollment Information
Tuition: $575.- 750.**
**Tuition may vary slightly depending on location.
- The Aroma101: Foundations of Aromatherapy certificate program manual designed and written by Jade Shutes
- 30 live hours of training with East-West School for Aromatic Studies approved Instructor
- Full materia medica profiles on 20 essential oils
- The use of the 20 organic or wild crafted ‘therapeutic grade’ essential oils
- An extensive list of resources for quality products
- Information about various Aromatherapy organizations and journals
- Discounts on additional supplies/kits from our select suppliers
- Review of case studies and exam
- CE hours for massage therapists
- Issuance of Certificate for 100 hours of aromatherapy education.
Students will create and take home at least four of the following products:
- Essential oil inhalers
- Bath salts
- Cream or Lotion
- Massage oil
- Salt scrubs
- Hydrosol or aromatic spritzer sprays
- Synergy for steam inhalation
Anyone may register for this class. No previous Aromatherapy training is required.