Summer Healing “Green” Salve
For scraped knees, abrasions, itchy skin/spots, dry skin areas
Not for use on deep cuts/wounds.
Ingredients to make 8-10 2 ounce jars (I made 6 2 ounce jars and 2 tubes of salve with this recipe.)
- 2 ounces beeswax (shaved or cut into small pieces)
- 3/4 cup Plantain herbal oil
- 3/4 cup Chickweed herbal oil
- 1/8-1/4 cup Comfrey leaf or Echinacea flower/leaf herbal oil
- 1/4 cup Calendula herbal oil
My typical ratio for salves is 1ounce beeswax to 1 – 1.25 cup of oil. You can work with the texture/hardness after heating all ingredients then removing from heat and taking a teaspoon out. Put the teaspoon in the freezer to cool and test after it hardens to see if you like the texture. If not, add more oil to soften or more beeswax to harden.
Steps to make salve:
*If making different essential oils synergies for each jar, place essential oils into jars before making salve. If making one blend of essential oils for jars: make synergy of essential oils first by placing all drops in a small bottle or bowl then add into warmed mixture before adding to individual glass jars.
1. Gently melt beeswax in double boiler.
2. Just before all beeswax is melted, add in all herbal oils.
3. Stir well with stainless steel fork or whisk.
4. Once beeswax is fully melted and ingredients are mixed well, remove from heat. Be sure to wipe bottom of pan to remove all water before pouring salve into jars.
5. If essential oils have already been placed into jars, begin filling each jar by adding in salve mixture into individual jar, cap, shake and place to side to harden. You will need to wipe off cap with paper towel once the salve as hardened.
Essential oils in each jar:
- 10 drops of Helichrysum (Helichrysum italicum)
- 20 drops of Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia)
- 6 drops of Cape Chamomile (Eriocephalus punctulatus)
* If making one blend of salve with essential oil synergy, add in synergy to salve mixture, stir and pour into glass jars, cover, and let cool.
6. Once salve has hardened: smooth out the tops of the salve by:
- Turn on boiler setting on stove
- Remove lids of all salve jars
- Place salve jars onto cookie sheet
- Once oven is hot, place cookie sheet with glass salve jars into oven for about 1 minute or less.(just enough to melt tops) This will melt the top part of the salve quickly.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- The tops of the salves will now be smooth.
7. Label salve jars.
8. Ready to use!